Pauses on traffic

We are working on replicating it now … stand by :slight_smile:

@rutman286 Is it possible to get a couple of simple videos of what you would consider a pause, and can you let me know a timestamp of when you experience an issue (so I can look at logs on your site)? We’re still having difficulty reproducing any issues whatsoever, so without more information it’s going to be difficult to fix your problem.

@j2sw @rutman286 @ArendB Can you please let me know the exact time when you experience an issue? Can we get more information about each of your sites, as well, i.e. ISP, router used, switches used, whether the Alta APs/SSIDs are on a VLAN, etc.

Hi @Alta-Jeff

My setup is quite simple tbh.

I am my own ISP, my “home” router is a MikroTik hAP ac3, which gets its connection directly from my bgp router via 1G RJ45.

At this moment, my home setup is running with 2 AP’s. One is connected to a MikroTik CSS610 with a PoE+ injector, the other one is connected to a Cisco SG300-10 port PoE+ switch.
They all live in the same Layer 2 domain, no VLANs are used.

At this moment my AP’s are running 1.1h-rc2, and I still experience issues :frowning:

It seems to break the current connection, because when I experience a “traffic pause” when using (for example) LinkedIn or YouTube on my iPhone 13 mini, and I switch to another app, it seems to already have restored connectivity.

On LinkedIn I need to refresh, on YouTube i need to wait for approx 10-15 seconds.

The biggest problem (for me) is that I use WiFiCall a lot; which is a service that is provided by my cellular provider. Whenever I roam from one AP to another, i lose audio for some time (3-6 seconds). This also seems to happen when the phone switches from 5 to 2.4, or the other way around.

When using the old MikroTik setup, i did hear a click sometimes when walking around, but the audio didn’t went completely silent.

Every now I then i also see that my phone switches to 5G (wifi symbol dissapears) when I walk from one AP to another AP. When i quickly open my WiFi settings, it seems to be still “connected”, and within a few moments the WiFi symbol appears again in the top of my phonescreen.

This is also something I have never experienced before with other setups.

@Alta-Jeff What is your preffered way to receive the log file snippet?

1 Like

@ArendB Reaching out via DM to obtain logs… Thank you for your report.

1 Like

Just a quick update. For me the pausing and strange connectivity issues I have been having are fully resolved. AP Firmware 1.1h made some excellent changes that helped. I also discovered that my DNS filtering software I was trying out was causing major issues that were hard to track down. I was using ControlD, for reference. I have removed all traces of ControlD from my network and moved back to NextDNS. Things are extremely smooth again! Even WiFi calling over Verizon is working great while roaming between APs.

4 Likes

Hi All,

Just a quick update from my side as well, have been running some testing firmware for a while now (have been working with @Alta-Jeff in the background).

And the problem looks to be solved, but I will keep a close eye on this; and stay in contact with the @Team

6 Likes