Latest Firmware 2.0e - return of AirPrint and Sonos problems

@user19 Thanks for sharing this information. We certainly want to help get this resolved for you ASAP, especially since you have gone “all in” with Alta Labs. I see where you have mentioned you have a “flat network.” To triple check, you have zero VLAN tagging deployed in your network? Everything is native (VLAN1)?

I see where you mention you are having problems with AirPrint. Based on your screen shots, it appears you have HomePods deployed. Do you also have Sonos devices?

Finally, can you confirm which device (printer, Homepods, Sonos) have joined which of your network types (IoT, Guest, Standard?

Thank you!

@BliXem Thank you for sharing your issues here as well! I’m sorry to hear you are having difficulties with your Alta Labs equipment. We would love to help resolve the issues you are seeing.

Would you mind sharing more about your network setup? Do you have a flat deployment, or are you deploying multiple VLANs? Are you using AltaPass with any of our pre defined network types deployed?

We want to get you back on the Alta Labs APs 100%. We know you will love the performance you will find there. :sunglasses:

@the Thank you for sharing the issues you are seeing as well. Are you running a flat network architecture? Or do you have multiple VLANs deployed?

Hi,

Not needed because Mike-D is already checking this out. You can better ask him about this :).
No VLANs btw, 2 switches and 3 AP’s. That’s it. Mostly everything on default.

2 Likes

Hey,

i don’t have a flat network.

Network Setup

VDSL modem → Firewalla

2 Aruba Instant On switches connected to the Firewalla
→ Aruba 1930 8 Port Switch
→ Aruba 1930 8 Port POE Switch

3 Access Points connected to the POE Switch
→ Aruba AP 22 (Only SSID1, 5 Ghz with low power. So only Devices in this room are connected. When everything works, it will be replaced with another Alta AP)
→ Alta AP6
→ Alta AP6 Pro

5 VLANs

• Management 1
  • Private 10
  • Guest 20
  • Entertainment (this is a new one and not really in use) 30
  • Devices 40

2 SSIDs
SSID1 (default VLAN 10, 2.4 and 5 Ghz)

• Password 1 => Standard
  • Password 2 => Standard (VLAN 20)
  • Password 3 => Standard (VLAN 30)

SSID 2 (default VLAN 40, just 2.4 Ghz)

• Password 1 => Standard

Devices
Google Devices, Printer, Elgato Keylight, Some Smart Bulbs etc are connected to SSID 2.
Private Devices and a Sonos Beam to SSID 1 (Passsword 1, so same VLAN)

Firewalla settings
Connections from devices VLAN 40 to other VLANs are blocked
Connections from private VLAN 10 to the devices VLAN are allowed

Firewalla mdns reflector is enabled for both VLANs. With the old Aruba AP 22 access points everything worked really good. Except the keylight made problems from time to time.

Jeff is already invited to my site and he has activated (?) some multicast optimizations.
I also set up a syslog server on a raspi a few days ago. I could therefore also provide logs from the last days

@BliXem You are in better hands with @Alta-MikeD . Glad to hear you are working with him. Also, thanks for sharing network architecture.

1 Like

@the Thank you for sharing your architecture! This helps immensely. You are in great with @Alta-Jeff . We have identified the issue you are seeing with multiple VLANs being deployed. We are pushing to resolve this ASAP. As soon as we have more details, we will be sure to provide an update.

1 Like

I had 3 SSIDs all of which were on VLAN 1 so all native - I had one Standard, one for IoT and the other for just guests which is Internet only.

I have removed the IoT SSID which was 2.4 G only and moved those devices onto the Standard one which was just 5G but is now 2.4G and 5G.

Moving the devices all onto the same SSID has made things a bit better, I have also wiped the OpenWRT install and moved to a new install of OPNsense to ensure that the issues were being seen by anything I had done myself.

I now occasionally get to see all devices especially after a reboot of the system including switches which take down the APs as they provide the PoE power but I am still having issues with my Homepod mini’s which just seem to disappear for a time and then reappear.

All of the homepods are set to type Standard. I can normally get them to show by reconnecting them but as soon as i lose Wi-Fi i lose one or two of them and that can be either just from me going to airplane mode to help test or by moving around the house and moving to another AP.

One thing that is constant is that wired devices show every time.

The two airprint printers seem to be running fine at the moment but they are now both wired.

I don’t have Sonos I have 3 Naim Muso speakers that all support Airplay and they also have issues if they aren’t wired and the one we use most often is the kitchen one sadly it is the one place i couldn’t cable when we renovated.
I know it is on the network and working fine as it will play internet radio with no issues but ask it to Airplay and it is hit or miss if it will show on the list.

Having the same issue here.

When this happened in the past buggy firmware, I changed my networks to “Large” which fixed it.

Now I’ve tried everything; setting to standard, removing all VLANs, disabling Fast Roaming and reset the whole Sonos system.

They can see the network, but can’t connect to it.

Sigh. Any ETA on this being fixed guys? I believe in the Alta product and have multiple APs at home, but can’t in all good faith recommend the solution with these instabilities popping up.

1 Like

I’m really hoping the Alta team gives you some kind of update or reaches out. I get updates now and then that they are working through a bug with the feature that needs to be enabled to fix the problem. I am running that “feature” via CLI, and in my case it has smoothed things out.
to your point though, I am growing concerned at the lack up public updates on the main forum. Even a “we know you are all having multicast issues, we reach out to individuals privately and are working through a fix” would be better than silence. Please don’t go Ubiquiti on us Alta. Your open communication is why a lot of us ended up here.

1 Like

I’m running the 2.0e and still have issues with HomeKit and AirPlay, time to time. AirPrint is ok and no issue with Sonos. I toggled off the fast roaming.
Sometimes everything is working in HomeKit, and suddenly, not for a couple of hours, then it went back to normal. But the vendor apps like Kasa or Ecobee are working fine.

Disabling the fast roaming got all AirPrint, smart switches and Ring devices issues fixed.

So, as long as only airplay and HomeKit are not working properly I gave up and I’m enjoying the experience of my APs, best wifi ever vs my Omada.

I’m aware that Jeff is still actively looking into these issues.

I’ve reconnected my Alta Labs APs, added them back into the Alta management portal (as if they were new) and everything is currently working. Although this is a good thing, I don’t know why it’s all working now as firmware seems to be 2.0e.

I currently have 2 SSIDs.
SSID 1: 2 x passwords, Network type: Standard and IOT - both default Vlan 1
SSID 2: 1 x password, Network type: IOT, VLAN 10

My Sonos and AirPrint devices all connect to SSID 1.

Currently everything is working we’ll see if that continues.

How are things now - mine seemed to be fine after a reboot and then slowly things stopped appearing on airplay lists etc.

It’s exactly the same for me. After a reboot everything works and then gets worse within a day. I have currently configured my switch so that POE is switched off during the night (for a minute). So the APs are restarting during the night and I don’t have any major issues during the day. But of course this can’t be the solution…

1 Like

I am just wondering if a firmware update is near/in the works?

1 Like

@user19 Yes! We are working on right now. We will have a more concrete time frame for you next week. We apologize for the headache!

@Alta-Chase Is there an update for the fix timeframe? I cannot move fully over to Alta APs because of the Apple airplay/airprint issues.

I have had to buy some APs from eBay - Got some AP25s for a steal luckily.

On the fence as to whether to eBay the AP6 Pros now or wait and see.

@carrottspc @user19 We’ll reach out to you directly to see if you are able to help us test a new build that should resolve the issues for you. By the way, it’s been very difficult for us to reproduce what you are seeing, but we are committed to understanding and fixing the issues you’re having.

2 Likes

@Alta-Jeff If possible can I help test the new build? Currently seeing multiple HomeKit, AirPrint, and general Apple ecosystem issues with 2.0e.