Bad batch? Dead AP6 Pro(s)

Hi There,

Not looking to bash on the product, however I’m wondering if there was a bad batch of them (as a gen 1 or such) as I think I have had two AP’s die in such a short time,

The first AP (Lets call this AP1) was ordered on 1 December 2023 and died around 27 Feb 2024.
I orded a second AP (Lets call this AP2) on 2 February 2024 and I think that it just died today 9 July 2024.

AP1 was replaced under RMA (Returned on 4 March 2024, Received replacment on 9 April 2024) (Lets call this AP3)

Sadly this is making me feel cautious about buying any more or a rack mount switch from Alta, as these lifespans have been far too short to be okay for anything other than a bad batch, if there was indeed a bad batch, is it public knowledge? is Alta reaching out to customers who have products from those batches?

I don’t have any doubts that Alta will replace the AP under warranty, but has whatever issue this is been fixed? or am I expecting AP3 (and the next RMA AP4?) to fail before 2024 is over?

Sorry if this comes across as negative, but I’d just like to know what is actually going on?

@Alta-Chase @Alta-Matt_v2

@LlamaLlama Thanks for the note. I am sorry you have seen two access points fail! I don’t think you are being negative at all. I appreciate you speaking up.

We have some questions for you that I will send to you in a direct message. Serial number, RMA #s , name, purchase location, etc. that probably shouldn’t be in an open forum. We will look at what is happening with your APs. We will also make sure replacements get routed to you ASAP as well. Whatever we can do to minimize your downtime.

Thanks Chase, shooting you the details, I also replied to an email from the previous RMA case

1 Like

Just updating here, The RMA process was nice and easy, I have received a replacement, however the timing wasn’t great as I then went away on holiday, so I’ll report back soon when I deploy the replaced AP, But I don’t expect any issues.

1 Like

Their replacement process is insanely fast! I got 1 replacement during the Christmas holidays. It took 7 days in total to

• ask for the replacement
  • ship the broken AP
  • ship the replacement AP and it travelled from Utah to Quebec City

I was, and still today, mind-blown because of how quick it was.

I know it is irritating have a device that died BUT having support to help fix that ASAP is insanely appreciated in these kinds of situations.

I did a video on my full Alta Labs experience, but it is in French.

Just an update here,

I received the replacement pretty quickly, but I went on vacation and have only just got around to setting it up and using it, so far so good.

Thanks again Team Alta

1 Like

Hey man I also have an AP6 Pro that died overnight …
:frowning:

@fernando Replied on your other post.

Is this firmware realted on ALta Pro?

@NetOpts Replying to your other thread as well. Will shoot you a DM and we can go from there.

Hey @Alta-Chase, Bad news :frowning: I’ve had another one die

@LlamaLlama Replying via DM!

Is there any explanation why so many AP6 Pros would die? Is it a problem with the heat?

There should be “zero tolerance” as well in regards to more and more hardware failures.

from here:

And it would indeed nice to know what the root cause is.
Let’s speak open please!

A first good step into the right direction would be showing AP’s average temperature (yes, average of the 4 zones, simple calculation) in the Mgmt GUI.
Deep dive via SSH is still possible if required of course.
I proposed this here already:

Thoughts?

@TeWe We absolutely agreed on zero-tolerance for hardware failures as well! We have reached out directly at any hint of a hardware failure to take care of our customers as quickly as possible. We have identified a small batch that has been confirmed as problematic, and we are actively working to replace those units that may be impacted.

1 Like

Is it possible to find out if a device could be affected?

3 Likes

Maybe the serials in that batch could be shared so we can proactively swap out or if not installed yet get them swapped out before they are put in place?

3 Likes

@user19 @bsdmonster We will share that shortly for sure. We are working on a few last minute items on this to make sure our data is accurate and resolution plan is sustainable. More shortly!!

5 Likes

How does someone go about submitting an RMA?