Mesh: AP drops from the mesh and loses traffic randomly

I have 4 Pros at home, where 3 are wired and 1 connects by mesh… randomly, the mesh traffic drops and the APs goes offline (but it doesn´t reboot as the uptime keeps going, it´s just connectivity).

The drops happen at random intervals… sometimes after few minutes, sometimes after few hours, but it´s very annoing because that AP is giving connectivity to security cameras.

The one AP in mesh is connected to the other at -58dBm and the wired ones are solid up and running… any ideas why the mesh keeps dropping?

This is when it comes back to life

Thanks

From the Oficina Pucca AP, could you click the icon of the AP, click the Scan tab, click Full Scan and share a screenshot of the result here, please?

Please change the Oficina Pucca AP 5GHz channel to 165.
While you’re in there, please set the 2.4GHz channel to 1.

Make sure to click Save.

From there, please monitor the stability of the meshed AP (1-2 days if possible), and let me know if it’s more, less, or about the same as far as stability goes.

1 Like

Alright, done!.. will let you know how it goes

Just died again few seconds ago

aaaand came back

died again… it´s way more frequent now… aproximately every 3-5 minutes in a loop

What is being used to power each AP? Power seems to be a point coming up a lot in the forum.

A power injector that the alta dealer sold to me, but I don´t think power is the issue because that specific injector I´m using, was in use by one of the other 3 APs that were working wired (got a ubiquiti switch that has poe+, so I´ve ditched the injectors for the wired ones)

That’s super strange as you technically went to a channel that is clearer. Go ahead and set it back to channel 48 to get back to that level of stability at least. I’ll send you a DM with my email address, can you invite me to the site so I can take a look, please?

Done! Thank you very much Matt!

just FYI, it keeps happening, even on channel 48… not as bad as channel 1, but keeps happening though

I made some channel and power output adjustments and the meshed AP seems significantly more stable and also appears to be passing a higher level of traffic than when I started.

Let me know if you see any change, good or bad.

While channel planning and power tweaking, I also noted a pair of Nest WiFi devices showing up as WiFi clients. Are you actively using those? One of them was connected at a -22dB signal which is really high. If these are repeaters or also transmitting an SSID in some way, they are actively causing interference and, ideally, removed.

It seems to be better, but still with issues

About the Nests, those are only the satellites and not the router units… I´m using those only for the assistant and as speakers, so shouldn´t be interferring with the Altas. In the layout, there´s one right next to Cuarto Panda and the other one lives around to 20 feet away from Abajo, which none of those are having issues.

Let’s give these tweaks a try.

--- 192.168.100.134 ping statistics ---
1000 packets transmitted, 1000 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 2.529/10.185/97.578 ms

Looks good, on paper. The traffic graph also looks substantially more consistent. I watched for ~2k total pings and didn’t see a drop (that I didn’t cause :smile:)

morning! just woke up… came to check and I´ve noticed the AP didn´t have any traffic because the cameras were connected to Oficina Pucca directly (because of the back and forth), when I did a reboot of the cameras to foce them to connect to Afuera, the AP died right away and it reconnected about a minute later

it keeps happening… I´ve put more load in that AP to test it under heavier conditions, and although it worked fine for about 15 minutes, it ended going down anyway.

This is becoming frustrating now… I´m starting to think about the physical layer. Do you want me to exchange APs to discard any hw issue? The devices are too expensive to just buy another one to do the tests

It´s an internal software issue… processes are crashing and that seems to cause the disconnect… at the time it got off, most of the processes died at the OS level

Regular load (working fine):

When it dies (the last-second view before the terminal gets disconected):

Would it be possible for you to click the trash can icon for that meshed AP, let it default & reboot, then click Set Up when it reappears in the UI?