Manage alta issues

I have an access point which is showing in the management panel but it hasn’t updated in weeks despite working fine. The reason i know this is that i finally settle on having an Openwrt x86 set up and moved from a 10...* address to a 192.168 again.

All the other APs show up with new addresses etc but not this one for some reason - I made the change around 3 weeks ago and the router has been rebooted a few times.

The AP is working great as previously said but without it showing correctly I cannot update it and I could probably solve it easily but resetting it but I have done that with a few other issues and it would be good to work out what the issue is if we can…