IOT connection to printer

Hi,
I have used the Alta product now for 3 month with only a few minor issues until now.
I have connected the printer in the IOT network and can access the printer from Standard network.
But I have users in our infrastructure that I want to use IOT or guest network.
If a allocate the users to those to network they unfortunately have no access to the printer.
It’s maybe my mistake because I am not used to password controlled network.
Could you please give me a solution to get the users on the guest and IOT network to be able to access the printer.

As I understand it devices in the IOT network can communicate with each other.

@oakserver
This was my understanding of the network but as I wrote the user I allocated to Guest and IOT network can not access the printer that is on the IOT network.
Please help on finding a solution.

The network type of Guest won’t be able to communicate with anything on the LAN due to Client Isolation being enabled.

Can the client on the IoT network ping the printer?

@Alta-Matt_v2
Update

Thank you for information regarding Guest network.
I have tried to ping the printer from IOT network to IOT network and the printer does not answer the ping command.
If the printer is in Standard network the ping to the printer is working from IOT network.

I have an idea to enable a feature that is working, but isn’t quite exposed in the UI yet. Could you invite me to your site please? It needs to be enabled per AP and requires an AP reboot.

@Alta-Matt_v2
I have sent a chat message to you.

@Alta-Matt_v2
Hi Matt, do you remember ther conversation we had regarding the connection on IOT network and that my client can not access the printer when both devices are connected in the IOT network.
I sent you a message that your intervention didn’t work. I still need a solution for the subject, Can you please further investigate why 2 devices in the same network can not connect to each other.

I’m double checking expected behavior for the network type. As soon as I hear back, I’ll reply here.

Ok, further information:

IoT: Inbound from other networks (inter-network) is allowed but connections from within the same network (intra-network) is blocked.

The main thing I was trying to clear up was the difference between IoT and Internet Only network types and that is the difference. IoT = Internet Only plus the ability to reach the IoT network from other networks whereas Internet only wouldn’t allow those inbound connections.

So the ways to fix this are:

1. Put your printer on a non-IoT network
  2. Leave your printer on the IoT network and don’t try to print to it from within that IoT network

Hopefully that makes sense, took me a few minutes to fully understand it.

@Alta-Matt_v2
I read your message and still dont understand why intra-network connected devices can not access each other in IOT.
Still to solve the issue with the printer I need to put client on Standard network.
It does not help to put printer in standard network and the client in the IOT network. Printer will not bee seen from client.
I know I could use VLAN but I try to avoid that and was really hoping that the different network will assist in dividing the clients.
Maybe something to look in to for a future update.

That makes sense to a degree, however, VLANs wouldn’t change this because IoT-out traffic is blocked at the AP level by design. You can leave the printer on the IoT network and your printing client on a non-IoT network. Do you have an IoT device that needs to print?

@Alta-Matt_v2
I do not have IOT devices that need to print.
But I tried to give client the IOT network so they can print and are not able to access the standard network with all NAS connected to it.
But for the moment I need to give them standard network access so they can print.
Printer is put on the IOT network again and there is no issue for the standard network connected devices to print.
Still I would suggest that intra-network acces within the same network should have been an option.

I wanted to weigh in here. The network types you’re referring to are “premade templates”. It’s really to simplify network deployments. However not all deployments fit into this. I would recommend creating a vlan with firewall rules that fit what you’re trying to accomplish.

2 Likes