Future AP and Switch ideas

Hi, this is my very first post here :blush: .

I would like to suggest a few AP design/feature ideas to you and if anyone else share my ideas feel free to comment with improvements.

1. An AP for hotel/school/public area that is designed to be in-wall mounted with PoE+ power and a micro switch built in for up to 3 ports (1 should be PoE out to power an IP phone or some other small device in a hotel room maybe).

2. An AP with higher IP rating for outdoor use with external antennas maybe and also micro switch so that it could be used as an PtP/PtMP bridge.

3. Small AP that could be on a office desk also with micro switch with PoE out for a IP phone and gigabit link for PC.

4. 48 or 24 (full) PoE switch.

If this topic or ideas are duplicated I am truly sorry and feel free to delete my post. BUT please note that I appreciate your company, products and your vision.

I would love a small inexpensive 5 port switch.

+1

I actually would like to see Alta Labs actually offer better hardware specs than ubiquiti does today on any future product they sell.

IMHO

• all switches and APs should come with 2.5GB nic standard as the lowest common denominator.
  • I would like to see an affordable 10 Gigabit RJ45 multi-gig switch (2.5/5/10) that supports PoE++ (not all ports maybe just 2-4 to keep costs low)
  • WIFI 7 hardware that can compete or beat TP-Link omada (the best bang for buck today for wifi)

Alta Labs software is very promising and they hired a few ex-ubiquiti employees. Myself I have ubiquiti at home but their hardware releases and newer product lines reallyyyyy suck and I want to move away from Unifi at some point.

What keeps me stuck with ubiquiti at home is that there really isn’t a competitor that can match my current setup in terms of price and software suite.

• US-16-XG (12 SFP+ and 4x10G RJ45) aggregation
  • US-Enterprise8-PoE (8x 2.5Gb RJ45 + 2xSFP+)
  • Flex mini 1gb switch for random IoT stuff hanging in my homelab like PiKVM

No current offering of theirs comes close to my current hardware; hopefully that changes reallyyyy soon because I am hoping and waiting… :upside_down_face:

1 Like