Using the multiple PSK feature?

So currently on the Legacy setup (TP-Link omada) I have 3 SSIDs

(Names changed but basically)

Main - old SSID on 2.4ghz because band steering didn’t work very well a long time ago - Main wireless VLAN

5Main - The actual SSID used most of the time, 5Ghz only - Main wireless VLAN.

IOT - Transmitted on 2.4Ghz only separate VLAN.

There are some IOT devices like the TV and Sonos that are on the Main wireless VLAN (Sonos is wired/using their own mesh) because otherwise Casting tends to be a right pain, but the majority of them are on the IOT VLAN.

What I’m thinking of doing.

Leaving the IOT SSID on because changing SSID on some of the IOT devices is an exercise in pain (Network type IOT set)

Leaving the existing PSK on the Main/5Main SSID’s but setting it’s Type to IOT so that the media players.etc can still connect.

Creating a new more secure PSK for the main SSIDs and setting the type to standard so it has full access to the network.

Also would having the network type set to IOT stop the media devices seeing the Local Jellyfin server?

@dragon2611 MDNS request and responses will still pass through for the IOT network type, so you should still be able to discover the Jellyfin server from guest/large/standard-connected devices. Let us know if you see anything strange, though!

The jellyfin server is on a different vlan, it will be http traffic (I think)

@dragon2611 A separate VLAN for HTTP traffic shouldn’t be an issue as long as your router routes between those VLANs.

Ah ok, although I noticed the Multiple Password feature doesn’t work with WPA3 :frowning:

@dragon2611 Yes, WPA3 is newer and did not build in support for it, but we are lobbying with the applicable organizations to bring support to WPA3 as well. Luckily WPA2 still works well in most environments (with a good password, of course).

1 Like